World Oceans Day - How Bad is the 'Plastic Problem'?

World Oceans Day - How Bad is the 'Plastic Problem'?

In 2050, there will be more plastic than fish in the ocean. No health company who truly cares about the long-term health of its customers and the planet should continue the production of single-use plastic. Why?
 
1. Destruction of Oceans and Biospheres
 
The damage done to oceans and surrounding biospheres is nearly irreversible as more than 8 million tons of plastic are dumped in the ocean each year.  Plastic is consumed by a variety of animal species and disrupts critical natural processes accelerating climate change and overall environmental destruction.
 
2. Negative Health Effects from Direct Consumption of Plastic
 
Microplastics are small rigid pieces from old plastic. These materials are toxic and cause significant health problems if consumed in significant amounts. It is estimated that the average person consumes 39,000 to 52,000 microplastic particles a year.  Microplastics enter our bodies from seafood, water supply, and the direct use of plastic products.
 
3. The Myth of Recycling
 
This one stings as it's been positioned for so long as the individuals way to leave a positive environmental footprint but the truth is, it's failed us. 
We’ve been taught that recycling eliminates waste but only about 5% of plastic is recycled and the remaining 95% is thrown into oceans, landfills, or public sites.
 
What Now?
Today, we are forced to decide between our own health while destroying the planet or nothing at all. But it doesn’t have to be this way. 
For us, we are dedicated to improving the environmental impact across our entire pharmaceutical lifecycle starting with what goes in your homes - the bottles.  In a few months, we're launching the worlds first medicine system that eliminates single use plastic and utilizes a compostable refill system. Our current packaging does not do enough to address the plastic crisis and we know that.
We're proud to receive our B-Corp certification and looking ahead to growing an entirely waste free business model.

 

Prev Next

More to read

Need help?
Cabinet Care Center